Bernhard Luder wrote:
> it needs a default route and default gateway
> route add default gw 192.168.0.1 eth0

OK thanks - working now. I did this but used the static IP address
assigned to my machine instead of the 192 one - is that correct?. Well
it certainly works, now I can reach outside.

OK I can understand that the packets need to be told where to go but as
I am at a uni site, ie not dialup, why would the gateway be set to be my
own machine? Just to try things I therefore tried
        route add default gw localhost eth0
but it does not work.

Clearly I dont really follow whats happening here. RedHat obviously set
this for me last time. Bless their souls :-)

Mike