Andre Pang wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:49:34 +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> > This is quick. When I changed over to debian from RH my printing setup
> > is gone. No printcap file at all. Have looked for combinatios of
> > printcfg printconfig etc commands in bins, looked on debian doc site,
> > and SLUG archives retured 55 matches but didnt actually show any text
> > (must be doing something wrong there).
>
> personally, i did:
>     % apt-get install lprng
> then
>     % apt-get install apsfilter

Done

> now, make sure lpr can communicate with your printer (echo
> "hello" > /dev/lp0 or whatever your printer port is should do
> the trick).  if your printer prints out garbage, that's okay.
> just make sure the lights flash on it or something.

Yep das blinken lights work :-)

> after you've made sure that lpr can converse with your printer
> (ignore the fact that the only thing you can print out at the
> moment is plain text ...):
>
>     % apsfilterconfig
>
> check the linux printing website (http://www.linuxprinting.org/)
> to look up what driver your printer model needs.

Yepo, HP laserJet 1100 takes a ljet4 driver for Ghostscript.

After going thru apsfilterconfig and setting it all up with correct
settings I get a chance to print a test page :-) goody
I get some postscript errors like

"Dictionary stack:
   --dict:780/809--   --dict:0/20--   --dict:89/200--   --dict:16/23--
--dict:780/809--"

followed by...

do {"Unrecoverable error: Unrecoverable error: execstackoverflow in
Unrecoverable error: Unrecoverable error: execstackoverflow in
Unrecoverable error: Unrecoverable error: execstackoverflow in
Unrecoverable error: Unrecoverable error: execstackoverflow"
while(1)

Ummmm?

If I "lpr -Plp test.ps" it silently adds a job to the spool dir
/var/spool/lpd/lp with no complains but nilch comes out.

Can I "apt-get install jeanie" ?

Mike