Adam, I think something needs to be cleared up.
Tomsrtbt is a samll Linux distribution which will run off a floppy.
If you get this you can start linux on the floppy, then mount your RedHat partition,
but you will be running TOMSRTBT, not Redhat.

>From the sounds off things after that I would change my default runlevel in RedHat so
>that it doesn't try to give you a graphical login.  This is in /etc/innitab.
Maybe then you will be able to get into the machine and start figuring out what went
wrong.
It sounds like your user my have Star Office set to restart whenever you login.  I'm
not real sure how you would solve this from a command line. A rather drastic manuever
might be something like deleting ~/.gnome (or kde).
For the sake of learning a lot about the inner workings of your distro, it's good to
do things like all the above, even if you intend trashing the drive.  Thankfully if
you get in with a tomsrtbt, you can mount the drive partition and copy all your
data/downloads off to another partition....
All definate good reasons for knowing your way around the CLI.

HTH
Steve