On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 10:06:37PM +1000, Crossfire wrote:
> Adam F. Bogacki was once rumoured to have said:
> > Thanks, C.
> >
> >     I followed your advice in  going into the - I agree - cruddy RH7 LILO
> > graphic, using control-x to get into interactive login and typing 'linux
> > single'. It told me there were "duplicate/bad" blocks in /dev/hdb1 which
> > were fixable via fsck. I ran 'e2fsck -y /dev/hdb1' to fix that problem and
> > continued with the boot sequence - only to end up at the same unstable
> > situation I have described before.
>
> Yes, and that is just a red herring to your real problem.
>
> Boot single again, and play on your file systems.
>
> Like I said, something is causing your X server to fail which causes
> gdm to go into a loop.  Fix that whilst booted single, and you'll fix
> your problem - I can't tell you why your X server is broken, but
> reading the logs that gdm generates will give you a good start.

I'd suggest a good start would be to stop booting into the graphical
startup at least until you fix the problem, with your X server/gdm

to do this on redhat just change the default runlevel to 3 instead of 5

boot single user and then edit /etc/inittab

and change the line near the top, that looks a bit like

id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

and you will then be able to boot normally, (although without X)

> >     I think my options are to continue with setting up the 'tomsrtbt' disk
> > mentioned by Ken in an effort to boot via disk, mount file systems to have a
> > look at them to see what is wrong and try to fix it - otherwise to install a
> > new system. In my case that will probably be Debian.
>
> Nup - like I said, not necessary.  Toms RootBoot is the wrong thing in
> this situation.

yup... boot single is the way....

-Colin