begin Peter Rundle quotation:

I'd be glad to, if I knew of one:  Being a lazy git, I most recently
just installed Mozilla from binary packages.  Here are versions
currently installed:

ii  libc6          2.2.3-10       GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
ii  libglib1.2     1.2.10-1.2     The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgtk1.2      1.2.10-1       The GIMP Toolkit set of widgets for X
ii  libjpeg62      6b-1.3         The Independent JPEG Group's JPEG runtime li
ii  libnspr4       0.9.3-1        Netscape Portable Runtime Library
ii  libstdc++2.10- 2.95.4-0.01081 The GNU stdc++ library
ii  mozilla-browse 0.9.3-1        Mozilla Web Browser - core and browser
ii  mozilla-psm    0.9.3-1        Mozilla Web Browser - Personal Security Mana
ii  xlibs          4.1.0-2        X Window System client libraries
ii  zlib1g         1.1.3-15       compression library - runtime

[Imagemap problems:]

>  http://www.bom.gov.au
>
> doesn't work for me, When I move the cursor over the map of Oz it
> changes to a hand but clicking does nothing. NS4.78 works no problem.

Yes, confirmed those resultes, here with Mozilla 0.9.3.  Konqueror 2.2.1
has no problem with that one.  (Please do us all a favour, and file a
bug report with mozilla.org.)

> Yeah I know it's broken in many other ways but I'm trying to swap out
> Windoze desktops for Linux and I need a browser that works for things
> like netbanking.

Understood.  For whatever it's worth, I've really found the SSL support in
Mozilla 0.9.x and Konqueror 2.2.x to be highly reliable.

> And like it or not Java and Java script are on a lot of sites....

I actually don't see Java on a lot of sites.  Next to none at all, in
fact.

Javascript I insist on finding ways around, which there almost always
are.  I probably don't have to mention this, but client-side Javascript
is simply unacceptable for security reasons:  There have been, and still
are, far too many nasty tricks that it can be used to carry out with
your user authority.  So, not wanting to be a patsy for such things, I
browse with it disabled.

> ...I'm afraid end-users aren't prepared to sacrifice their current
> functionality for an ideological cause.

I guess I'm at least minimally sympathetic to their problems -- in at
least a vague and general sense -- but their problems don't happen to be
mine.  The two browsers I use routinely seem to meet my "better than
Communicator" criterion in areas I care about.  Your mileage may differ.

> No don't start, I "get it" the gnu/linux, open source "free" thing and
> understand my part and obligations in the big picture, one of which is
> to try to swap out windows.

Gee, *I* feel no such crusading obligation.  I just enjoy using what I'm
privileged to have at my disposal.  If it fails to meet other people's
needs, I'll give them a brief moment of sympathy to be polite, and then
go on about my business.  If those other folk want particular sorts of
software to exist, I'm sure they'll execute whatever ingenuity they
possess to make that happen.

(Or maybe not.  Not really my problem, either way.)

> Biggest stumbling blocks are good web broswer and a good word
> replacement and Abiword looks the goods once it supports tables, and
> Mozilla is getting close too, just need to kick a few more goals.

I'm still rather fond of WordPerfect 8.[1]  Beats the heck out of Star
Office for memory footprint:  I recall it loading with an RSS of about
6 MB.  OpenOffice pre-6.0 build 633 is also startlingly good -- printing
limitations being the biggest hole I observed in a quick once-over.
(There are now more-recent builds.)

But in the long term, we're going to have to do something about putting
an end to obscure and/or moving-target binary formats for our data.  I
still have DeScribe documents I can't get to, because they're locked up
in a vendor-specific format inaccessible to anything else.  The lesson
hasn't been lost on me, and I'm going to seriously look at LyX and
LaTeX, as a long-term option.

Mostly, though, I write either ASCII or HTML in vim, so I'm perhaps not
the right person to ask.

(Not palatable to other folks you know and care about?  Well, that's a
shame, but I'm concentrating on solving my own problems.)

[1] Still preserved at http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/apps/

--
Cheers,          "A Discordian is a Taoist with a very strange sense of humour
Rick Moen         and the inability to sit still."