George Vieira wrote:

> I'm running 2 Realtek 8029 and 1 Tulip card and worked great in the old P100
> system and when moved to the new system I had problems with 1 of the 8029
> cards having weird conflicts.

Probably just an irq conflict or maybe shared pci/isa slot blues.

> Though I would still use them anyway, I've heard people make comments about
> Realtek cards being bad but I've never had problems until now (and it's
> probbly because I'm using the same HDD from the old machine moved to the new
> one.. so you'd expect some trouble)....

For thr $10-15 youll pay for a Realtek card youll get a connection to
an ethernet network. The calibre of the connection is almost totally
random but is generally very average.

Although the 8029as (the 10mb pci card) isnt a bad little 10 meg card.
I would recommend it for anyone who just wants to get some print or
internet sharing going.

Its big brother the 8139 (10/100mb) is pretty below standard. Ive only
seen transfers of 1.5mb/sec (8139->8139 and 8139->various), on most
other cards and combinations ive seen speeds approaching the theoretical
max of a 100mb segment (6 or 7 mb/sec is what i consider normal).

The only cards ive had more problems with than realteks are dlinks.
That said they work ok when they are working, eg normal transfers etc.

im running alot of netgear fx310 (something like that) which are
tulip based, then new 311 card use a different chip which is supported
in the kernel but i dont know if your dists standard kernel ships with
it compiled.

Dean