From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Minh Van Le
Sent: Tuesday, 20 November 2001 03:19
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [SLUG] Multiple NICS under Linux

Has anybody configured 3 or 4 nics to work under Linux ?

I'm trying to make a decision between possibly having 3 or 4 10mbit
RealTek PCI nics (at $20 each), or purchasing the D-Link 4-Port PCIBUS
10/100 NIC DFE-570TX ($499.70AUD at everythinglinux.com.au).

To go on a Celeron 850, 64mb ram, 20gb disk, Redhat 6.2 server. The ADSL
will be connected to one of the interfaces. As yet, there is probably no
real need for "multiple dedicated bandwidths running at full duplex,
with load sharing functions to handle heavy network traffic (D-Link
DFE-570TX)", and I can't foresee the system loads on the server hosting
web, ftp, irc etc getting very high at this stage. If I can afford to
save a couple of hundred dollars, I will.

Is there any hardware traps I should look for (eg. onboard/offboard
mainboards) that prohibits 3 or 4 regular nics to be used under Linux ?
Is there a particular brand/type of mainboard/nic combo I should get ?

Also afaik there're problems with the NetGear FA311s with 2.4.x ? and
people have suggested use of FA310s instead. Is this true ?

What's the difference between OEM and Retail pricing ? It seems to me
that OEM labeled hardware are cheaper than Retail labeled hardware. The
retail FA310 are $50.80, and OEM are $35.00 as advertised from
everythinglinux.com.au.