Mary Gardiner wrote:

> While this may be true for the original poster, who given that they are
> posting to the SLUG newsgroup at all almost certainly has more skills
> than I did when I started uni, I don't regret going to uni for the
> following reasons:
>  * I had no "IT skills" to speak of when I left high school and would
>  * In particular, I had no programming skills and would now most likely
>  * I wanted other skills that 3 years experience was unlikely to give me
>  * It is likely that I would still be living in my parent's home town if
>  * There are a lot of IT things I would have never used, or used much
>  * I'm at least considering a research career, for which an

uni helps you to acquire the ability to reason and research.
with that you can progress into field of endeavour.

Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services Pty Limited

I'm not interested in developing a powerful brain.  All I'm after is
just a mediocre brain, something like the president of American Telephone
and Telegraph Company.
     -- Alan Turing on the possibilities of a thinking machine, 1943.