On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, gcowling wrote:

> I'm stuck -- and would be very grateful if someone can help me.
>
> I have had Red Hat for some time, but wanted to put up Debian.
> I set aside a second disk, used APC magazine disk.  It installed the
> kernel, and then (not later as in RH) re-booted.
> I boot through System Commander--the kernel started booting, but after
> sveral screens there was:
> kernel panic, no INIT ...
> I checked the disk, and there seemed to be no /etc/rc.d files--I don't
> know if that is relevant.
>
> so, I have 20 G just sitting there ...
> what am i oding wrong--or just not doing??
>
> prevenient gratitude ..
>
> Geoffrey Cowling

If it's an older BIOS/mobo combination you might find lilo can't find the
kernel. Since you already have a RedHat system installed, copy the kernel
debian installed into RedHat's /boot area under a different name and edit
/etc/lilo.conf (then type 'lilo') or edit /boot/grub/menu.1st to start the
debian system.

Oh yeah and no /etc/rc.d files is a problem :-(

 --
Web: www.arcadia.au.com/gripz