I took the plunge about six months ago and once I got my head around
Debian sufficiently (about a month) to be confident, I got rid of all
our RH servers (about 6) at work and at home.

The reason telnet is off by default, I've assumed was because telnet is
insecure. Now that you've learned how to turn telnet on, turn it back
off, make sure rlogin and friends are not installed and install SSH:

- apt-get remove rsh-server
- apt-get install ssh

IMHO you should not be accessing a firewall with anything < SSH.

If you like GUI things, there's GNOME-Apt for doing Apt things but I've
found the CLI (like with most things) is quicker once you know it.

It is also my understanding that IP-CHAINS is the current "best" tool
for firewalling. You may want to read the Firewall-HOWTO. I've used
IP-CHAINS for my home firewall and it's worked nicely so far (I believe
IP-CHAINS is being replaced in kernel 2.4).

After 5-6 years on RH or it's ancestors, it now feels alien and backward
to be using anything but Debian. Alot of this has to do with package
management because from a sysadmin POV, apt is a god-send.

Cheers,
      Craige.