Wouldn't the ladies just be talking in the LinuxChix lists?
They don't need to contribute to this thread...

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Kevin Saenz
Sent: Friday, 12 April 2002 10:22 AM
To: Andrew Bennetts
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Re: [SLUG-ANNOUNCE] LinuxChix chapter in Sydney

The utterly stupid thing that we have here is that
a bunch of males are the ones who have an opion on this topic
So far I have no seen any thing from the ladies side.
Does this mean that men have to stick their nose on other peoples
business? Or is it that they want to control what happens?
Reguardless of your position.

:)
> >    I am a guys - but would love to meet linux chix.
>
> And comments like that are why LinuxChix exists, I suspect.
>
> >    Computer groups are anti social enough, without having a seperate
> groups
> >    for gals.
>
> It's like the Debian-SIG in my mind.  If you're not interested in
> Debian, it
> doesn't matter.  Don't go.  If you have a special interest that you'd
> like
> to have get-togethers for, then go and organise one.  Other peoples
> hobbies
> and interests aren't your concern.  Women that go to SLUG are allowed
> meet each other while you're not looking.  It's not a crime, or even
in
> any
> way unreasonable.
>
> You could always try to start a "LinuxGuys", but I suspect most people
> don't
> see any point in doing so.  I certainly don't see any.  There's plenty
> of
> men using Linux that a special support group and general social
> get-together
> would be totally redundant.  I can however see plenty of merit in
> LinuxChix.
>
> If there's a problem, then it's not with LinuxChix.  Calling LinuxChix
> anti-social is, in my opinion, a symptom of the problem that causes it
> exist.  Comments like "would love to meet linux chix" are hardly
likely
> make women feel welcome and feel equally respected in the community,
> and
> that is great shame.
>
> If everytime I went to a LUG meeting or posted to a list I felt that
> everyone was "checking me out" or thinking "he uses linux!  And he's a
> guy!
> Phwoar!" or otherwise making my gender by the major issue in every
thing
> do in the community, I would be extremely uncomfortable.  There's far
> more
> to me than the fact that I'm a man, and I suspect most women have a
> similar
> opinion of themselves.
>
> Put yourself in women's shoes; don't you think there's a reasonable
> chance
> you might be offended by people that posted what you just did?
Doesn't