On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:52:29PM +1000, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 11:05:16PM +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >    I am a guys - but would love to meet linux chix.
>
> And comments like that are why LinuxChix exists, I suspect.
>
> >    Computer groups are anti social enough, without having a seperate groups
> >    for gals.
>
> It's like the Debian-SIG in my mind.  If you're not interested in Debian, it
> doesn't matter.  Don't go.  If you have a special interest that you'd like
> to have get-togethers for, then go and organise one.  Other peoples hobbies
> and interests aren't your concern.  Women that go to SLUG are allowed to
> meet each other while you're not looking.  It's not a crime, or even in any
> way unreasonable.

I'd also like to point out that, unless it's any different from the
Melbourne chapter, guys are welcome. As long as they're not just there
to check out all the LinuxChix. Somehow, I doubt they appreciate being
rounded up just to be drooled at.

> If there's a problem, then it's not with LinuxChix.  Calling LinuxChix
> anti-social is, in my opinion, a symptom of the problem that causes it to
> exist.  Comments like "would love to meet linux chix" are hardly likely to
> make women feel welcome and feel equally respected in the community, and
> that is great shame.

Yea, and that's part of the reason why LinuxChix exists. Feel free to go
there if you can keep your eyes and tongue in check.

> And finally, apologies for the length.  I fear this has grown into a little
> bit of a rant :(

'Sall good. :)

--
Daniel Stone                                                <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<DanielS> liedra: mind if i sigquote that?