On Mon, 6 May 2002, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > It'd be nice if Dabian _said_ that somewhere. Nowhere on the site does it
> > indicate you don't need all the disks.
>
> Pretty sure it says it in the install guide.

Which is where? On the first disk, right? :-)

> > Yes, it indicates you can do a minimal install from a small ISO, and get
> > the rest from the net - but it's a _big_ assumption that anyone who
> > installs Debian will have net access to get the rest of the packages every
> > single time they install.
>
> Funny thing is, last time I downloaded Red Hat, I didn't realise I *had* to
> have both CD's. It makes far more sense to me to have the distribution work
> it out for itself.

So, if you buy a piece of commercial software and get one CD, you expect
it to go out and download the second CD while installing?

This makes sense?

> Debian has a very effective system (and package: popularity-contest) for
> working out what should go on the first CDs.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over whose
distribution/installation system is best. It's not worth it, and the
zealots from both sides will be tearing out throats in minutes.

> > > The available packages for Debian don't indicate bloat. They indicate a very
> > > large, distributed developer base and a lot of hard work.
> > My my, you _are_ defensive, aren't you Jeff?
>
> Yes, but no one has even mentioned my nose yet.

Jeff, you've got a very grecian nose.

:-)

DaZZa