Hello Conrad and everyone,

It boots! :-)

I made a rescue and boot disk using my laptop, and learned how to use
rawrite in the process. The hardest part was finding the right files to
copy on the CD. My system booted off the floppies and recognized the CD
just fine.

I had assumed that if I messed up partioning my new HD I would just be
able to put in the CD and re-install. I had a bit of a panic atack when
it wouldn't boot off the CD and I got all those warnings in dmesg -
thought maybe I'd broken a connector, or something. I'll be more
careful next time! Now where was that Hard-Disk HOWTO again...

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions,

mark

P.S. Now, if I put in a sound-card, I could play with Scrubby!