** Reply to note from Adam Hewitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 16 Oct 2002 12:18:14 +1000

> And I have been doing computer technician work for about 8 years now and
> I have always placed the CD ROM on the secondary IDE channel. The reason
> for this (and I admit I have never done any testing myself to find out
> if this is true) is that the IDE channel will default to the slowest
> speed on the ribbon cable, so if you have a hard drive and a cd drive
> located on the same IDE ribbon cable it will slow your hard drive speed
> down.
>
> If you think this is incorrect or have actually run tests regarding this
> please let me know.

Adam,

on a perhaps related issue, I have been told it's a 'bad idea' to have a
slow device such as a scanner on one SCSI buss, as, it will bring the whole
SCSI chain to the lowest common speed.

I have a single AHA2940UWP running three chains:
external narrow: HP scanner and Yamaha CDRW
internal wide: 2 UW HDs ,
internal narrow: two narrow devices: CDROM, DAT.

I was told 'bad idea, get a second SCSI controller for scanner'

so, one day, I run some HD benchmarks, as is, with all stuff working;
then, progressively, I removed everything down to the single HD.

interestingly, the HD benchmarks didn't vary, regardless

so, I still only use a single SCSI controller.

of course, IDE isn't SCSI, and, YMMV, etc

Voytek Eymont
SBT Information Systems Pty Ltd
http://www.sbt.net.au/links/
phone +61-2 9310-1144 fax +61-2 9310-1118