Mark,

Are your hard disks and CDROM IDE devices?  If so, have you set up the
master/slave jumpers correctly (since you have 3 devices you must have 2
sharing one channel/cable, would that be the CDROM and the second disk)?

Can you still boot from a diskette?  Did you make a boot disk when you
installed?

Do you have any MCA SCSI devices/cards in your system (the error message
you quote says they are not found so this may just be a red herring)?
If your devices are SCSI, did you set the SCSI IDs correctly?

 > Well, this is embarassing. I have this old IBM P133 that I run Debian
 > on. I'm a hobbyist, not a professional. Yesterday I had a go at putting
 > in a second hard drive. There wasn't much room in the case, but I think
 > I got everything plugged back in right. The machine booted up just fine
 > so I ran  fdisk and then mkfs -t ext2 on the second drive and tried to
 > reboot. Now it won't boot. I get a lot of complaining messages - E.g.:
 >
 > Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card
 > IBM MCA SCSI: No microchannel bus found --> Aborting
 > Kernel panic - no init found

Brendan

Brendan Dacre