On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:31:03AM +1100, Mike MacCana wrote:
> up2date -u
> To update the entire system
>
> up2date -i (package)
> To install a package, and any dependencies it requires.
>
> Its been this way since 6.0

Yes but why would I use a system where I have to either

a) register on a website to setup a "Demo" account which expires every
2 months unless I fill in a survey. Ever tried doing this if you are
managing 5+ machines. It's a bit of a pain.

b) pay for the "luxury" of not having to do the above

when I could use one of the many other distibution which let me do
something similar to the above for free.

I know there are things like apt-rpm etc but this relies on someone
else creating a copy of the redhat repository which I don't like from
a security standpoint.

Also it might not always work.

<quote>
Why buy Red Hat Network Basic Services?

  - 24 Hour Access. Demo accounts are subject to blackouts during
periods of
    high usage. Paid subscribers receive uninterrupted service all
year.
</quote>

or is there another way around this silliness above and I've been
misinformed?

--
John
http://www.inodes.org/