I'm really starting to dislike debian. (even if its only due to my own lack of
knowledge)

I can't apt-get install debconf because it complains that it needs jdk. I
can't install a jdk cause that needs xfree86-common. I can't install that
because it needs debconf.

Does anyone know how I can get out of this vicious circle???

Regards

Rob T