Simon Bryan wrote:
| Hi all,
| I am helping a disability organisation I am associated with to setup a
| small network of 10 Linux, three Windows and a Linux server. We can't
| afford the needed hardware or the licences to go to XP and MS Office etc,
| so we are looking at Linux alternatives. However it needs to maintain a
| familiar Windows look and feel. I am looking for suggestions for the
| following list of requirements.

linux would be great for people with disabilities. Seeing as you
can customize the heck out of it!

| OS                 Lindows
| Office APps        Open Office and ABIWord

you shouldnt have any problems with either, especially if your
just typing and printing.

| Email Yahoo Mail using Web Browser

theres heaps of great email apps for linux. all of which
arent vulnerable to outlook exploits!!! yahoo has the
advantage of having builting up to date virus and spam
checks.

| Photo Manipulation GIMP

| ACDSEE (IMage viewing and slideshows) ?????????????

look up gqview. its o for awesome.

| Publisher (They like the templates) ?????????????

i think openoffices word is capable of behaving like publisher.
i really like publisher. its suprisingly good for a ms product.

| Printer HP2100

anything postscriptable would be best. i would recommend a
network (or intelligent) printer. you can either buy a
printer with the bits built in or you can buy a lil box
that you can plug you normal printer into and get the same
features. dick smiths should have something suitable.

with network printers you can either connect directly
or set up a queue on a convenient machine then get it
to pass them along to the printer.

| Plus we will need to connect Scanners, USB Digital Camera

most digital cameras are just usb storage devices in linux
just plug them in and mount /dev/sda1. ive had no problems
on linuxi386 and linuxppc. slightly older cameras are supported
through user space software i believe. although i have two
of those old types around the house, we just use the canon
which is alot better (its a usb storage device).

ive had no problems with sony and canon cameras using usb-storage.

| Any other suggestions or thoughts are welcome.
|
| I am setting up a Samba domain and would like to make it an AD look alike,

is there really any need for AD? you can have network logins and
map (i like the word import) directories and all that stuff without it.

| I did read about this somewhere but am having trouble finding it again.

samba.org? google.com?

Dean