On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:57:53PM +1000, Simon Bryan wrote:
> OS                 Lindows

Debian unstable will give you more flexibility.  Whether that's a positive
or a negative is your call.  Debian does have the Very Funky FAI, which can
do automated installations.  There's a program callec unattended
(unattended.sf.net) which does equivalent things to Windows boxes.

For making it look windows-like, there's no shortage of window managers out
there.  The two big desktop systems, GNOME and KDE, both have a fairly
windows-like feel to them; I've had windows die-hards work quite happily
with both of them.  There's also more "niche" WMs out there, including one
which is intended to completely (and I do mean *completely*) replicate the
look, feel, and mechanics of XP.  There are some truly sick people out
there.

> Office APps        Open Office and ABIWord

OpenOffice is probably going to give you better results as an all-round
office suite, although it is the most god awful resource hog.

> Email              Yahoo Mail using Web Browser

You can also run your own webmail server using something like Squirrelmail.

> Photo Manipulation GIMP

Ayup.  King of kings.

> Publisher (They like the templates)    ?????????????

I'm not 100% sure (because I don't use OOo) but I think OpenOffice has a
publisher-like tool in it.

> Printer            HP2100

As has already been mentioned, PostScript-native printers are the best.  The
HP1200 and HP1300 series printers work fairly well for non-PS printers, and
they're pretty cheap.

> Plus we will need to connect Scanners, USB Digital Camera

Just make sure it's compiled into your kernel, and the hotplug
infrastructure seems to take care of it fairly well.  I believe that certain
people in the GNOME project (*cough*jdub*cough*) have been doing work on
making digital cameras work seamlessly.  I'm sure Jeff can expand on that.

> I am setting up a Samba domain and would like to make it an AD look alike,

That's some low ambitions you've got there.  I'd expect you to be able to
pull off something *much* better than AD...

Setting up the server is fairly straightforward these days, and hooking
clients up to it is a piece of piss.  On the UI side, I've worked with
ldap-account-manager (AKA lam) and it's pretty good, and I've recently heard
of another one which is supposed to be even better, but for the life of me I
can't find it's name now.  Supposedly does everything include scrubbing the
kitchen sink...

gq is a pretty decent all-purpose LDAP editor, too, for when you need to
make strange changes.

> I did read about this somewhere but am having trouble finding it again.

There's a pile of stuff on samba.org; I think O'Reilly e-published the
latest edition of Using Samba, so ora.com is a good place to look; there's
also been a couple of "Samba 3" books published recently, written by members
of the samba team, which are probably worth a look.

> PS, this is in the Hornsby area of Sydney if anyone wants to help

Have a look at the lists at lists.cbnsw.org.au and subscribe to the more
appropriate ones.  You might find people willing to lend a hand.

- Matt