On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 14:50, Rod Butcher wrote:
> > Sluggers, I started off having to spoof my Firefox browser as Moz 1
> > Win98 to do St George internet banking. That stopped working so I used
> > IE 5 Mac. That now crashes and I have to use IE6 Win XP. There is as
> > pattern here .. and in the US i believe it would warrant antitrust /
> > racketeering / cartel / wirefraud investigation.
> > Anybody got any real facts on this ?
>
> Ockams Razor (paraphrased):  Never ascribe to conspiracy what can be
> easily attributed to stupidity.

occam's razor.... if there are many possible answers to a question, the
simplest one is usually correct...

Then again.. that's probably the same thing. They have XP on their
desktop, so obviously they think everyone else must have to. Much more
likely than a conspiracy. OTOH, it suits M$ to be non-standard, so there
isn't much likelihood that they will discourage this behaviour.

This is absolutely NO reason not to actively hassle the banks to conform
to reasonable standards.

For what it is worth, when i hassled Westpac, they actually personally
phoned and mailed me with an apology and a promise that they are actually
working on making their website fully standards compliant. So far nothing
has changed, but I live in hope. If you don't hassle them, they will keep
taking the line of least resistance.