Although it does still have it's flaws, Gentoo is an easily upgraded
distro. See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml to see
how gentoo upgrading works...

On 6/13/06, Luke Kendall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
AFAIK, no Linux distro is considered quite safe to upgrade from one
release to the next (e.g. from SuSE 9.2 to SuSE 10.0, or FC 4 to FC 5).

Wise people still routinely advise "Install the new system on a spare
partition, and switch over when it's properly installed and configured".

The problem with this is that if you've tweaked things so that sendmail
is running nicely, and you have all the RealPlayer and Flash 7 and
innumerable video codecs installed, and your soundcard working well and
the DVD burner (and TV card?) etc. etc. all working well - then you
have to do all this work afresh on the new system, and that can take
days.

So: does anyone know of a Linux distro that is so easily managed and so
well structured, that not only can you easily update all your packages
(via apt or yum or whatever), but you can even upgrade the whole
distro, 99.99% reliably?  (And no, I don't really want to install BSD
which can do this, I believe, because AFAIK Linux still has far greater
hardware support and much faster development.)

I suppose a halfway decent approach might be to mirror your old working
system onto a spare partition, and *then* try running the upgrade on
*that*.  If it doesn't work, then you're no worse off, having only
spent an hour or so installing/upgrading.

I must be one of the few people on the planet still running RH 7.2.
(I do it because I begrudge spending the days or weeks getting all the
extra packages installed that I like.)  But it's now too old, and
really should be replaced.

luke

Menno Schaaf aka ginji
irc.austnet.org #gentoo #linux-help