Luke Kendall wrote:

> AFAIK, no Linux distro is considered quite safe to upgrade from one
> release to the next (e.g. from SuSE 9.2 to SuSE 10.0, or FC 4 to FC 5).

My current laptop was installed from an Ubuntu Warty CD because its
all I had on hand at the time. I then immediately dist-upgraded it to
the Breezy release (5.10) without even having a CD, just distupgrade
over the net. Then, about 3-4 weeks ago I dist-upgraded the machine
to Dapper, again no cdrom, just the net.

The Warty to Breezy upgrade was completely painless. Some stuff that
didn't work in Warty started working in Breezy.

The Breezy to Dapper upgrade was marginally more painful but an order
of magnitude less painful than installing from scratch and then
reapplying tweaks.

Debian is similarly easily upgradable, but all my machines run testing
and therefore never need anything like a full upgrade.

Erik