On 08/10/2006, at 06:25 , Howard Lowndes wrote:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some major US agencies - I think one was DoD - are mandating that their systems change over in 2008, so I think the urgency might be nearer than you predict.

Well, there was also a mandate to switch from TCP/IP to OSI...

  http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0SMG/is_n1_v8/ai_6281886

If there were any remaining doubts about the future success of computer network protocols based on the Open Systems Interconnection model, a 1987 letter from the Department of Defense to all services
Perhaps I'm crazy but my money's still on TCP.

If the DoD switches all their systems to IPv6 it might make more suppliers support it, but OS/firmware support is not really what's lacking. Linux has had IPv6 for years and how many people use it?

--
Martin