On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 09:51:55PM +1100, Mike Lake wrote:
> Hi all
>
> On Mon 12 Feb 2007, Alex Samad wrote:
> > I have had bigpond for about 4 years, I use their smtp server as an
> > outbound,
> > to stop my mail being blocked because it came from a dial up (I'm on
> > cable). I
> > haven't had a problem.  I have my own domain setup.  Haven't had a problem
> > with
> > tpg or exetel either.
> >
> > I think most isp allow relaying through there smtp (outbound from your
> > laptop
> > to the internet) from all of their ip addresses
>
> I had been told that Bigpond would block smtp and searching on Google
> for smtp and Bigpond shows many frustrated users who have been blocked
> but I had better have a try and see what gives.
>
> I have reconfigured exim4 and guessed a few things as I don't know much
> about mail but Bigpond's website gives its mail site name as
> mail.bigpond.com so I set exim to use it and I think it has worked. This
> email is sent from mutt while at home using Bigpond.
>
> This email should appear to come from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        [144.140.82.183])

        by rusty.slug.org.au (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4A22511800F

        for <slug@slug.org.au>; Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:57:42 +1100 (EST)

        with ESMTP

        id <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        for <slug@slug.org.au>; Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:51:22 +0000

        (envelope-from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) id 1HGvGN-0001C7-Ub

        for slug@slug.org.au; Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:51:55 +1100

seems to be okay

i think the problem with the smtp servers is people using the in bound smtp
server bigpond have and not the outbound smtp servers