On 2007.02.12 14:52 Phil Scarratt wrote:
The problem with this is that these days you need to use
an upstream smtp server as opposed to being one yourself
to get the message delivered correctly. A lot of MTA's these
days refuse to accept messages from the "home-server" type
MTA which forces people to use their ISP's SMTP, but in
the case of some bigpond accounts (namely dynamic ip
address accounts), it forces all messages to go out as if from
the bigpond email address of the conneciton account - not
very useful when you have your own domain.

You are right -- my response was not very well worded. All the lightweight MTAs hand off delivery to the upstream (ISPs) server. The real problem is, indeed, when you have your own domain name (as do I).

I have never used frogpond but I have had no problem with my previous ISP, nor my current one, in using my domain name -- they have simply accepted that my mailing address is robert<<at>>thorsby<<dot>>com<<dot>>au rather than [EMAIL PROTECTED] However, current ISP inserts a "(may be forged)" into the first Received header whener I send mail through him from [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- I shall be speaking to him later this week.

Robert Thorsby