On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 12:06 +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> Background: my normal mail setup uses Postfix on my laptop to send
> outgoing mail. My university has blocked all outgoing ports except 80
> (and they may have a transparent proxy in front of that) and 443 on
> their wireless network. My laptop cannot contact its normal mail servers
> on any port. (I happen to run those servers, but I already have
> processes listening on 80 and 443 on the relevant servers!)
>
> In the best of all possible worlds, I wouldn't have to edit
> /etc/postfix/main.cf whenever I happen to be in this network. (Of
> course, I could script that.) Does anyone have alternative setups?

So far I've managed to avoid digging deep into this - port 587 is often
open, and the cases where it isn't, I've just edited configs.

I think it would be nice for NetworkManager to be able to drive a
consistent change across all tools - so that when I'm on a broken
network I could tell network manager once that its broken and to active
$workaround-that-isn't-good-enough-for-normal-use.

-Rob