Mary Gardiner wrote:

Everyone's solutions have been pretty interesting[1]. I'm surprised
(although, yes, I knew) that there aren't less sysadmin-y solutions:
blocking outgoing SMTP is getting pretty common.

Networks *should* block outgoing SMTP from anything but authorised
mail servers.  They should, however, allow IMAPS (993) and
Authenticated SMTP (587 to allow users to exchange mail with third-party
servers.

In this day and age mail servers shouldn't relay unauthenticated mail
from within a network to the outside.  That's just asking for one
infected PC to drop the entire domain into a spam blacklist.

--
 Glen Turner