On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 14:37 +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> I wasn't clear in my original mail: I'm more interested in how people
> get their laptop to switch mail settings between "inside horrible
> network" and "normal operation"

Gentoo Linux has an RC system that has the concept of "named
runlevels"... so we tend to have laptops that are setup something like:

/etc/runlevels/
        default/
        network/
        wireless/
        office/

and then have different /etc/init.d/ RC scripts added to these
softlevels as appropriate - for example, in the "office", bring up
cupsd; in "wireless" we're want the NetworkManager daemon running, etc.

As root, it's just

# rc office

etc to switch. Rather nice. Anyway, that's our gateway to running custom
scripts depending on environment.

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
review, and effective procedures for change management. We actively
carry out research and development in these areas on behalf of our
clients, and enable successful use of open source in their mission
critical enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London