If you're talking a network shared drive, then something simple like htdig
gets you most of the way there.  You can either crawl the disk like
locate(8) does, or crawl the intranet webserver if that's how you're
accessing your docs, then you call the hdig CGI and get back your results.
Cheap, simple open sourcey, and I'm sure the quality of the results you get
back won't be very good :)  But it's a central tool that everyone can enjoy,
unlike the personal copmuter solutions like beagle and google desktop.

If you want to *spend* money, though, some companies sell network appliances
that do all this for you.