Excerpts from Sebastian Spiess's message of Wed May 14 07:10:01 +1000 2008:
> hi all,
>
> I know this is not a 100% linux related question but it's open source baby :-)
>
> On our company network we have a daily growing number of documents in lots of
> folders and stuff. Most of it is organised in
> project folders and has reoccurring folder structures and file names.
> We are working hard on giving it more and clearer structure but sometimes it
> is
> still hard to find some files.
>
> I want to suggest to install a search engine which will index our existing
> files so that employees can crawl quickly though
> projects history.
>
> I've heard of the various desktop search engines like beagle, tracker and
> google desktop but are there open source engines
> which can be run on a server so that many can connect to it and search?
>
> Sadly we are relying on MS office (2001), AutoCAD (R16 to 2008) and other
> proprietary software in our daily work so those
> kind of files would need to be indexed.
>

> Does anyone has a idea, something I could investigate further? a software
> name?

Hutch/solr might be a good fit. There's quite a good overview of both here:

    http://www.danielnaber.de/publications/jazoon07_naber.pdf

rgh

--
+61 (0) 410 646 369
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You're worried criminals will continue to penetrate into cyberspace, and
I'm worried complexity, poor design and mismanagement will be there to meet
them - Marcus Ranum