On Saturday 21 February 2009 02:31:08 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
> I'm running a brand new Zalman CNPS7700 CPU fan
> along with a brand new Seasonic S12II 430W PSU
> with a 120mm fan in the machine.
>
> I checked the box when it keeled over while my
> wife was watching the telly and it was rather hot.
> It could be the box is not pushed far enough back
> in the TV cabinet (big mother which holds
> everything) so the air may not have been able to
> move around properly regardless of the fans. I've
> moved it right to the back (I had already cut a
> hole out of the rear of the cabinet to allow the
> box to vent properly - wife was not amused).
>
> I'm running memtest86+ at the moment and will
> check what it says tomorrow morning.
>
> The machine has generally been running well and so
> these odd self-reboots are quite odd.
>
> >... it would be difficult to determine I guess,
>
> until it
> > completely fails.
> Sad but true.

When the machine fails, or at your leisure reboot, enter the BIOS screen,
Health and check the temperatures.

My myth machine (DNS, MAIL, WWW, DHCP) is on 24/7 so I was paranoid about
power consumption. It runs cool, and by stopwatch at the meter it is 30W.
Right now Perth is 30C (it's only 9:15) and CPU temp is 39C

Last time (long ago) I checked a P4 it was over 130W so say 100W extra == 870
KwH pa == $105. Easy to justify a new mobo at $80 ish and my 2 DVICO tuner
backend worked fine with a sempron processor ($25 ish) although I use a
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2300
because DB stuff is quicker (myth uses the DB a lot so after years you get the
occasional 2 sec pause when skipping)

James