Hi Elliot,
I may be way off here, but I had the same problem a while ago. It turned out that the power supply had a fault which started as random and then eventually the machine would not boot; whenever something caused a spike like when a HDD firing up it couldn't cope. It was hard to diagnose.
I fixed the problem by getting a better quality power supply.

Heracles

elliott-brennan wrote:
Hi all,

I have Mythbuntu running on

a 3Ghz P4
1.5G RAM,
500G HDD,
two PVR-150 video cards
and a 128mb nVidia card.

On the odd occasion the machine decides to reboot,
for no particular reason. Tonight, for instance,
my wife was watching the ABC and the machine just
borked and rebooted. She wasn't 'doing' anything
and the machine was doing nothing but showing the
TV...no additional work.

It's done this irregularly (eg. not every day and
not at the same time) and I can't work out a pattern.

Last week I had serious problems getting it to
stay alive for more than 10 minutes. I finally
replaced the BIOS battery and it was fine.

Can anyone suggest something I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Patrick