This one time, at band camp, elliott-brennan wrote:

> I checked the box when it keeled over while my
> wife was watching the telly and it was rather hot.
> It could be the box is not pushed far enough back
> in the TV cabinet (big mother which holds
> everything) so the air may not have been able to
> move around properly regardless of the fans. I've
> moved it right to the back (I had already cut a
> hole out of the rear of the cabinet to allow the
> box to vent properly - wife was not amused).

Install the lm-sensors and sensord package.  Then (as root) run
sensors-detect.  It'll test for available temperature sensors on your
machine and set up the appropriate lines in /etc/modules.conf to load
the right modules (first time you'll need to modprobe them yourself).

Then type sensors to see all the output.  For example, here's part of my
output:
adm1023-i2c-2-18
Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at dcd0
Board Temp:  +37.0°C  (low  = -128.0°C, high = +127.0°C)
CPU Temp:    +41.0°C  (low  = -128.0°C, high = +105.0°C)

Fiddle around with /etc/sensors3.conf to set maximum temperatures, and
actions when the maximums are exceeded (like, get it to send you an
email?).

--
Rev Simon Rumble <si...@rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Because geeks travel too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

 "Famous remarks are very seldom quoted correctly."
- Simeon Strunsky