........... O....K!!!

That is indeed what it does Michael, when it doesn't timeout. I had previously read up on F'Fox and turned on the various turbocharging options, but hadn't thought of ipv6.

So I changed "network.dns.disableIPv6" to true on the hosts behind the switch and Wow! That's a bit more like what I might expect.

ipv6 has always been a bit of a black box I've tried to avoid as long as possible. Guess I need to start reading up on it. Or disabling it!

Allow me here to thank each and every one of you that have put up with my ignorance to assist in debugging this issue.

I'm not convinced that's all there is to it just yet. For instance, the Linux box is still an order of magnitude faster to load a page, network.dns.disableIPv6 is true by default in T'Bird on the hosts which still timeout on initial connection and all hosts are only using the linux box itself as name server.

But where we are now will go a long way to dispersing aggravation in the local browsing community.

Thanks again.

ipv6 ..... mumble, groan, must read ..... pain in th..... mumble, groan, ipv6

Kind Regards

Kyle

Michael Chesterton wrote:

Does it sit there for 11 seconds, then load all of a sudden, or does it start loading right from
the start?

I'm wondering if firefox is doing IPv6 lookups and failing. If you want to test, disable IPv6 in firefox (about:config) or use the same nameservers as the linux router