Kyle, a few things.

Firstly you talk about "15Kbps". In my mind this reads as 15 thousand bits
per second. This is slower than dialup speeds. (A little "b" is always bits
*not* bytes, which is "B" in communication speek). Even if you meant 15 000
bytes per second (which equate to 150 000 is slow). So I am not sure what
you really mean here.

Secondly as you seem to have different experience with different
applications there is some value in splitting up your testing. The first
thing I would do is make sure you are good getting good throughput (goodput)
up and down. Your ISP probably has a webserver that will network-wise be
close to you (not on the big-bad internet). You want to do a download from
there. For instance Internode has a number of files on their mirror (which
will be unmetered) specifically for this purpose -
http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/test/10meg.test. Your ISP may have
something similar ( I know iiNet does) or even other largeish files like
windows security updates that available there for easy update. To test
upload speed, your ISP might have provided you with limited personal web
space. You get one of those large files and then try uploading it. Firefox
reports goodput, but you could also use something like wget. If something
seems wrong, you can do a packet capture with wireshark you can get an idea
of things like retransmissions, fragmenting and the like.

Finally, even with good throughput you may have other application issues.
For instance if you app needs to do a DNS look or go elsewhere to verify
some credentials before the transfer you can have problems. For instance
sshd in its default configuration often causes issues for users because it
wants to do a reverse DNS lookup on the address of the connecting client. If
your primary DNS can't give that answer (because it is a private
unregistered address) then it can take some time to traverse multiple DNS
servers before eventually giving up. Similar if your traffic is protected by
SSL/TLS and the certificate presented has CRL (certificate revocation list)
specified and for some reason it can't access the CRL server it could take
15 seconds or more to time out. To determine if such issues exist you can
examine logs for the applications, (which often report that such timeouts,
or use wireshark again to infer from the request/response sequence as to
whether your app is getting the right answers in a timely manner or not.

I'm not saying you have either of this issues, but it is important to try
and separate out the layers - the lower ones (physical through transport)
would be covered by the first tests, and then more detailed log/protocol
examination would let you see any application layer issues.

Regards, Martin

martinvisse...@gmail.com