Just out of curiosity, what is your IMAP backend? e.g. LDAP, etc

Chris

On 21/02/2009, at 9:59 AM, Kyle <k...@attitia.com> wrote:

Not sure I understand you there James.

I telnet-ed in to test Peter's theories below. But for good measure, I just tried with openssl as a command too and that responds immediately.

I just don't get it. One host behind the server/router is a MAC on OSX with 4GB, another WinXP with 2GB. The WinXP host is by far the worst. But irrespective the MAC is not exactly blindingly quick either. (Both wired connections)

--- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kind Regards

Kyle

James Polley wrote:
you can use openssl s_client in place of telnet to connect -
http://www.jaharmi.com/2007/09/26/using_openssl_securely_connect_your_imap_account
has a guide.
But for good measure Telnetted (and
Wiresharked) over both my SSL IMAP port and 25. Both responses come back PDQ. And Wireshark shows traffic moving from one host to the other and return. I'm pretty confident of my iptables setup as I have refined that
over a period of years.

pe...@chubb.wattle.id.au wrote:
So, connexions to the (imap? smtp?) mail server time out. Can you run
wireshark on the server, and see what's happening?  Does the server
have a correct route to the clients?

If it's smtp, then try telnet from a client to the server (telnet
192.168.1.1 25) on the inside of the firewall, while watching top on the firewall. What does the load look like? Does the telnet session
time out?  During which part of the connexion?