It's all good. Keep the thoughts coming please.

I actually use IMAP over SSL. But for good measure Telnetted (and Wiresharked) over both my SSL IMAP port and 25. Both responses come back PDQ. And Wireshark shows traffic moving from one host to the other and return. I'm pretty confident of my iptables setup as I have refined that over a period of years.

Both NIC's in full-duplex (albeit negotiated down to 100Mbps for the switch behind the router.)

Is there anything in sysctl.conf I can mess with other than the single; 'net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1' param which will help?

If I switch off ipv6, will that help?

Kind Regards

Kyle

pe...@chubb.wattle.id.au wrote:

So, connexions to the  (imap? smtp?) mail server time out.  Can you run
wireshark on the server, and see what's happening?  Does the server
have a correct route to the clients?

If it's smtp, then try telnet from a client to the server (telnet
192.168.1.1 25) on the inside of the firewall, while watching top on
the firewall.  What does the load look like?  Does the telnet session
time out?  During which part of the connexion?