Daniel Pittman wrote:
Heracles <herac...@iprimus.com.au> writes:

I spent a great deal of time over the last few years trying to get parts
of the DET to look at free software with little effect. I found three
major hurdles.
1. The unfounded belief that anything free must be second rate
2. The complete reliance on their Microsoft trained advisers
3. The argument that the students will only ever encounter MS based
   software in the workplace (also based on their advisers).

I know that these are bogus arguments, but the powers that be are
convinced that they are true.

You have a more liberal department than many of the Victorian
equivalents, then.  Down here cause number one, of one, is that the
contractual agreement that gets them Microsoft software at reasonable
price also explicitly excludes them using any alternative OS.

What a pity there isn't anyone around with deep pockets to run a restraint-of-trade court case.. or similar.

I know the law is an ass... but instinctively it seems that there should be enough of a public interest case there.

It makes me laugh to think that the press and opposition fuss about Krudd sitting next to a chinese business woman, but is quite happy to be utterly beholden to foreign software companies with a proven track record of illegal and predatory business practices.