lloyd wrote:
Apart from Heracles, does anyone know who marketed Linux & FOSS to the NSW
Department of
Education prior to this decision? This is obviously relevant to statements about
"Linux not compete".
I think we can be sure that the competition to Linux were backed by substantial
if not huge marketing expenditure.

I doubt a Linux, open office or Firefox on the desktop would be in the running
given this statement from the Premier:

"Using this software, students will be able to create videos, edit photos and
make presentations for class assignments and projects.

"Students and teachers will also be able to set up video conferencing and
collaborate on assignments using the built-in web cameras and software within the
department's secure network.

"The Adobe software will be available not only for laptops but for all
computers in NSW public schools and TAFE colleges.

"NSW Government will also finance the agreement with Microsoft to include Office
Professional on all the new laptops."

Mr Rees said that this means students will have their own access to all the
programs commonly found in the modern office workplace, including Word, Excel
and Power Point.
"The new laptops are highly specified with 10.2" screens, large 160gb hard
disks, 2gb memory and extended battery life.
<http://www.premier.nsw.gov.au/Newsroom/Articles/2009/April/090401_The_digital_education_revolution_is_here.html>

Maybe Lenova is providing Lenova Quick Start:
Splashtop is an instant on commercial Linux distribution targeting PC
motherboard vendors and other device manufacturers.[3] It is developed by
DeviceVM.[4
Splashtop features a graphical user interface[8], a web browser based on
Mozilla Firefox 2.0[8], a Skype VoIP client[8] and a chat client based on
Pidgin.[7]
Other products featuring Splashtop

Asus rebrands Splashtop as "Express Gate" for its other products as well.

    * ASUS Eee Box
    * Asus EEE Top
    * Envy 133 from VoodooPC
    * ASUS Notebook PCs:
          o F3, F5, F6, F7, F8, F80, G70, M50, M51, M70, N10, N20, N80, N50,
U2, U6, V1, VX3, X57VN, X58L [17]
    * Lenovo IdeaPad S10/S10e, which rebrands Splashtop as "Lenovo Quick
Start".[18][19][20]
    * LG X120[21
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashtop>

Marghanita
<snip>

If Linux succeeds, then the financial will take care of itself. I
doubt the education department really enjoys $m of funding being
top-sliced to pay for software when there are so many other uses
for $m within the education system.

--
  Glen Turner

--