Daniel Pittman wrote:
IIRC, this is usually by billing for a copy of Windows to run on
everything, regardless of what actually runs on it, so the cost of Linux
is now hardware + Windows + Linux, no savings available.

So what alternative do you propose? That every machine be inspected to
see what operating system it is running on some census date?  We've been
there with Sun machines running the various BSDs and it really, really
hurt just for a few hundred machines. Only an insane love of bureaucracy
would try that on a few hundred thousand machines.

Better to negotiate a discount for the estimated proportion of machines
running another OS and pay on the number of machines in the assets register.

You'll note that NSW was delighted that it didn't even need to count
machines, but could base its payment on student enrolments (ie, a figure
it has easily to hand).

The state gov't schemes are also different in one other aspect: the
software is paid by the gov't, not by the school.  As far as the
school is concerned the software cost is $0.

Now, if I could have a moment to soapbox, why are Linux advocates bitching?
Apple sell into exactly the same situation, and do quite well out of
education, thank you. Can Linux not compete against a $0 alternative,
is its only competitive edge the saving of license fees?

I don't believe so. I believe that Linux is a more useful operating
system -- easier to use, more secure, more stable, more applications
and a view of computing wider than that of mere business.  I especially
believe that the ability to open the hood, to observe the blinkenlights,
to treat the computer as a deterministic tool rather than a black box
governed by moods and whims, brings large advantages to the act of teaching.

I don't believe this based on some mystical faith. I've used both
Windows Xp and Ubuntu Linux on my Eee, and Ubuntu outshines Windows
in every way.

I feel sad that Linux wasn't selected as the operating system my
daughter will use at school. But the reasons for that sadness are
not at all financial.

If Linux succeeds, then the financial will take care of itself. I
doubt the education department really enjoys $m of funding being
top-sliced to pay for software when there are so many other uses
for $m within the education system.

--
 Glen Turner