2009/4/3 Rick Welykochy <r...@praxis.com.au>:
> Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>
>> One of my colleagues was complaining this week that a Vista service pack
>> is something like a gigabyte (and her ISP doesn't have free mirrors) of
>> download in one hit.  Ouch.
>
> Sounds outrageous! I had a peek on the Microsoft website for the Vista
> services packs. SP1 is about 440 MB and SP2 is about 350 MB. Ouch!
>
> Apple has similar offerings, perhaps 500 MB every four months.

Generally Apple's point releases are a bit smaller than that (~80mb).

Nice thing about OS X updates is Apple roll all the point releases
into a single update, so if you clean install and do a software
update, you'll get a single big update of all the point releases up to
the latest (~500mb).

That said, their update tool is totally broken. Case in point: you do
a clean install of OS X, the software updater runs silently in the
background and starts downloading the latest updates, you run the
software update frontend manually, and it discards any partially
completed silent downloads so far (this could be up to 1gb of
updates).

For all its faults, Linux distros still kick the crap out any other OS
when it comes to distributing and applying updates.

Lindsay

--
http://holmwood.id.au/~lindsay/ (me)