Jeff Waugh <j...@perkypants.org> writes:
> <quote who="Lindsay Holmwood">
>
>> That said, their update tool is totally broken. Case in point: you do
>> a clean install of OS X, the software updater runs silently in the
>> background and starts downloading the latest updates, you run the
>> software update frontend manually, and it discards any partially
>> completed silent downloads so far (this could be up to 1gb of
>> updates).
>>
>> For all its faults, Linux distros still kick the crap out any other OS
>> when it comes to distributing and applying updates.
>
> Funny story: I was talking to an Apple dude at OSCON a few years ago
> about how *nix-y Mac OS X was compared to Linux, doing evil surgery
> underneath OS X, stuff like that. At one point we got onto packaging,
> and he started asking some incredibly detailed questions about how
> dpkg/apt worked, how they manage consistency and modes of failure,
> etc.
>
> It turns out that while a big chunk of the Linux world was trying to
> figure out how to bring "appfolders" to Linux, Apple has been trying
> to figure out how to bring sane packaging to OS X.

Well, that later is very, very nice.  Hopefully they will wake up to the
idea that allowing random third parties essentially free access to an
integrated distribution and update system for all MacOS-X users would
benefit both sides of the equation.

I am curious about the "how to bring AppFolders..." part of your
comment, though: as far as I can tell, with the exception of the Rox
stuff[1] and the GNUStep people[2] no only really cares ... and those
two are pretty much a niche market...

(Plus, how hard is it, seriously?  Five lines of code?)

Anyway. :)

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...who are trying to bring RiscOS to Linux.

[2]  Who are trying to bring the less painful precursor to MacOS-X to
     Unix.