I have a laptop with a Sierra Wireless modem built-in. Stuffed if I can get the sodding thing to work on Ubuntu Karmic. The SIM (3 prepaid) works fine with other modem dongles on Ubuntu and also works with the PC modem on Windoze.

I guess the moral is - check before you buy :)

BTW the 3 prepaid is a very good deal - $149 for 12GB and 12 months to use it. If you don't use it in 12 months, you can rollover the balance. I'm mobile between the CBD, western suburbs, south western suburbs and southern suburbs and the coverage is pretty good. Also the network is not as congested as, say, Optus which can be unusable during normal online time.

Pete

Ben Donohue wrote:
From memory you can get them in two general packages... time online or monthly download.

you really have to watch the downloads of these...

If you go over, you get slugged quite heavily. They are not capped at whatever and then shaped. You get hit for every additional MEGABYTE! (unless their plans have changed recently...)

If you are not careful, you'll have the finance dept. knocking on your door.

Also useful to record the IMEI number and serial number and anything else you can, 'cause if you lose it you want to disable it ASAP before someone else uses it to death and you get the $$$ bill at the end of the month. Treat it like a credit card with the PIN written on it. Anyone else who finds/steals it can simply plug it in and use it.

Ben

Amos Shapira wrote:
Since this became a discussion of broadband modems - I got an OK from
my workplace to buy the Telstra Turbo USB pre-paid modem (currently
costs $149) but so far Google, whirlpool and ubuntuforums failed to
provide a positive answer about the hardware compatibility to linux
(Ubuntu 9.10).

Can anyone here have positive experience with this moddem?

Thanks

-Amos