2010/1/22 Dean Hamstead <d...@fragfest.com.au>:

> the down side of pre-paid is that the data expires fairly quickly.
> a few gigs typically only has a 30 day expiry. larger data blocks tend to
> last longer (up to 90 days on optus)
>
> you can just whip out your credit card and buy a data block.
> that may not sit well with the on call person... "heres a usb 3g modem, just
> add your CC# and expiry date as needed"

Of course there is a down side, just as is the matter of higher cost
per megabyte.

I usually hardly manage to use up 4 Gb/month from my home (including
two computers and a couple of WiFi phones), so I'd feel comfortable
with a 5Gb cap over a course of a weekend.

On the other hand, in the long term there would be very little use of
this modem if at all. So far we managed without it and it'll be there
just for a reassurance that it's possible to connect if absolutely
needed. I can pre-charge them with a company CC if required.

Still - so far I haven't heard that it works with Linux so I'm not
sure it's an option, unless I manage to test it successfully in the
shop somehow (my own company issued laptop's display died this week so
I'll have to buy a new one before I can do that).

Cheers,

--Amos