2010/1/22 Del <d...@babel.com.au>:
> Amos Shapira wrote:
>>
>> Since this became a discussion of broadband modems - I got an OK from
>> my workplace to buy the Telstra Turbo USB pre-paid modem (currently
>> costs $149) but so far Google, whirlpool and ubuntuforums failed to
>> provide a positive answer about the hardware compatibility to linux
>> (Ubuntu 9.10).
>>
>> Can anyone here have positive experience with this moddem?
>
> No, I can not.  :)
>
> You're better off buying their network gateway for $399, which is the
> BigPond "Elite" network gateway on this page:
>
> http://www.bigpond.com/internet/plans/wireless/wireless_devices/

Thanks for the pointer but since the main point of having this device
is to allow our people to travel while on call duty (two of them
happen to be motorcyclists too), it's not practical.

> Bigpond are the biggest wunch(*) on the planet, so you have to be aware.
>  One issue is that although all of their devices are essentially compatible,
> your internet plan is tied to the device so if you get one of their plug in
> modems and decide later you want the gateway, you have to cancel (and pay
> out) your old plan and buy a new plan.  No other internet provider makes you
> do this -- e.g. iinet don't make you cancel your plan if you buy a new ADSL
> modem.

Part of the motivation for buying a modem out-right and use pre-paid
is that it doesn't tie us to any plan, plus we expect to use the
pre-paid modem very sporadically - in emergencies which happen when
the guy on call is out and just must access the network.

--Amos