On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 09:15 +0800, james wrote:
> . . . and with a masthead antenna had coverage in the Abrolhaus islands 60Km
> out to
> sea from Geraldton.

As far as I was aware the standard setup at the Abrolhos fishermen's
shacks is a moderate gain Yagi (e.g. 9 dBi?) hooked to an Ericsson W25.
Provides 2 analog phone lines (buiness phone and fax) and the broadband
is used for school-of-the-air for the families.  I guess they run them
from solar panels.

We use a similar setup at several sites inland - actually have one as a
Telstra landline (landline number, landline fees).  Telstra will do it
if you squeeze their right bits - it only took about 9 months on the
case.

To get back to the original point of this thread - these
network-connected boxes just work, with anything, with multiple PCs
hooked up (they usually have a hub and wifi).  They use a normal SIM
card, just like a phone or USB device.  They have a connection for an
external antenna (though I couldn't find a cable connector that fitted a
Huwei).  They run off 12 V and can have internal rechargeable batteries
(W25 anyway).  Sure there are situations where a dongle is more
convenient but you have to know it's going to work, which is never a
problem with the network devices.

Kevin.