Ashley,

Response, inline below

Regards, Martin

martinvisse...@gmail.com

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Ashley Maher <
ashley.ma...@didymodesigns.com.au> wrote:

> I am trying to set up a Telstra Prepaid wireless usb modum to Ubuntu 9.10.
>
> The initial set up went very well.
>
> However /etc/resolv.conf was empty. (As has been noted by some users I
> found using google)
>
> So I statically entered some dns servers into /etc/resolv.conf from the
> telstra list. Pinging the ip number of the server works fine. Pinging
> the web address fails

 What do you mean by "pinging a web address", the name of the server? If you
can ping a DNS server by it's IP address, but not by it's fully-qualified
domain name (FQDN), then you can stop right there as your DNS
configuration/connection is not working. (Being able to reach a site using
PING only really tests that you can reach it with the ICMP protocol over IP.
It doesn't test anything more about reachability to a particular host, the
initial DNS lookup done by ping if needed is really just a side effect).

To test DNS, once you think you have resolv.conf correct, use "host <FQDN>".
If this returns nothing, then DNS is broken. You can make it more verbose
with "host -v <FQDN>".

You can also use "host" to force it use a particular DNS. For instance
Google have magnanimously made available 8.8.8.8 as a freely available and
easily remembered DNS. To test it you can do something like "host
www.google.com 8.8.8.8" to get the following result.

$ host www.google.com 8.8.8.8
Using domain server:
Name: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
Aliases:

www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.19.106
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.19.147
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.19.99
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.19.103
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.19.104
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.19.105

Of course you could test that you can directly reach the Telstra DNS (using
DNS) by this method. If explicitly doing a DNS lookup against those servers
does work with say "host www.google.com 1.2.3.4" where 1.2.3.4 is the DNS
server you are hoping to use, but plain "host www.google.com" doesn't then
your DNS config is broken.

> .
>
> So I entered the Bigpond dns servers for NSW, Queensland and Victoria
> into network manager. This creates a nice shiny /etc/resolv.conf that
> looks correct when ever the connection is made into the telstra network.
>
> Still, ping works for ip numbers, fails for urls.

ping only works for IP addresses or properly formed DNS names - never URLs.

> Yet if I enter a url - ip number pare into /etc/hosts all is good.
> Remove the entry from /etc/hosts fail again.

Are you really putting a URL in /etc/hosts or do you mean a name?