Ashley Maher <ashley.ma...@didymodesigns.com.au> writes:

> I am used to putting in the IP of a dns server into resolv.conf and all
> good. It was very frustrating to find that most of the listed tesltra
> dns servers failed.
>
> host allowed me to check what servers are working quickly.

FWIW, I got very sick of this years and years ago, so I took to installing the
distribution packaged version of bind on my machine and configuring the system
to use localhost for name resolution.

That gives a pretty solid resolver that just works(tm) anywhere, and while
there is a tiny increase in first-access latency to sites I can't say it has
any significant practical drawbacks.

        Daniel

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707