On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 04:32:48PM +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Oh, cool.  Someone talked DJB into relicensing dnscache so that it can be
> distributed patched, rather than requiring the original.  That must make life
> better for folks like you who want to use it.

DJB made it Public Domain AFAIK, so I made a git repo from it and added
some of the published patches as well as my own work.

> Way back when a 256/64 kbit ADSL connection was fast and expensive, a couple
> of places I supported used software that incorporated dnscache, and had the
> ability to use DNS RBLs for inbound email.
>
> So, it turns out that dnscache had a fixed ten second timeout for a response
> from the upstream DNS server.  If it receives a reply outside that window it
> will reject the reply; it also resends queries if they time out.

Yes, that's really nasty, but that's the exact problem I fixed recently
(i.e. about 6 months ago). The fix is that although dnscache is resending,
it should still accept late replies from the original requests it sent.

> Apparently, though, if you manage to list enough RBLs you can get in a
> situation where dnscache is sending requests, which all time out because the
> link RTT is more than ten seconds ??? just from the load of sending
> retransmitted queries.

Performance starts to degrade as soon as the average request latency
exceeds 1 second. See http://www.nick-andrew.net/ actually it is my
most recent news item (I don't update it all that often).

> Anyway, these days that is unlikely to be a problem: either the code will be
> patched to play nice, or the increase in bandwidth makes the odds of breaking
> pretty slim.

Negative unfortunately; I discovered this problem on a modern day Mobile
Broadband link ... three.com.au, to name the guilty party.

Nick.